Why buy an ashtray when you can make your own? With a little bit of creativity and some common household items, anyone can easily create a unique clay ashtray. By creating your own ashtray, you are in control of the shape, size and colour. You can make it a statement piece or a simple dish to hide away in a corner. A homemade ashtray also makes an excellent and inexpensive gift idea for the cigarette or cigar aficionado.
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water
- Mixing bowl
- Non-stick baking tray
- Clear varnish
Place flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Sift together.
Pour half of the water into the mixing bowl and mix with the dry ingredients.
Knead the mixture with your hands, slowly adding the remaining water until a soft, smooth dough forms.
Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and use your hands to mould it into the ashtray shape you want.
Prepare the clay
Preheat your oven to 135 degrees C (275F).
Place the clay ashtray in the centre of a non-stick baking tray. If your baking tray is not non-stick, cover it with aluminium foil.
Place the ashtray in the oven and bake until it's hard and golden brown (approximately one hour).
Remove the ashtray from the baking tray and allow it to cool.
Once the ashtray has cooled, paint it. When the paint has dried, spray the ashtray with a clear varnish.
Tips and warnings
- Save time and buy moulding clay from an arts and crafts shop instead of making your own.
- Skip the paint and add food colouring to the water before mixing it in with the dry ingredients.
- Use common household items such as spoons and lollipop sticks to help you achieve your desired shape and design.
- Store any left over dough in the fridge so you can use it later.
- If the ashtray is thicker in some areas then others, poke the thicker areas with a fork before baking to allow for even heat distribution.
- Baking time will vary depending on the size and shape of the ashtray. Watch closely to ensure it does not burn.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for