Star Trek characters continue to be popular costumes for Halloween and beyond. Lt. Uhura, a Commander and communications officer aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise, worked under the command of James T. Kirk. She was capable of rewiring her own communications board during a crisis, wearing a little red dress, and black go-go boots. "Adult Star Trek costumes definitely sell all year-round," according to Rubie's Costume Company. With a few simple steps you can make your own Lt. Uhura classic Star Trek uniform. (Reference 2, paragraph 5)
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Short red dress with long sleeves
- Black and gold felt with adhesive back
- Measuring tape
- Gold trim
- Hot glue gun
Lay the upper portion of the dress, from the waist up, flat on a table.
Measure a piece of black felt for a decorative collar for the neckline of the dress. Collar measurements are 2-inches long, and wide enough to fit from the left shoulder seam, around the front, to the right shoulder seam.
Cut the piece of felt then peel the adhesive back. Press the collar firmly to the neckline of the dress.
Cut two pieces of flat, gold, trim long enough to fit around the arm of the dress six inches from the cuff, between the elbow and wrist.
Glue the trim to each arm of the dress with a thin line of hot glue.
Cut a 2-inch arrowhead shape out of gold felt for the logo. Press a black felt star to the middle.
Adhere the felt logo to the right chest of the dress while it is laying down flat in front of you. The logo will be worn on the left side.
Tips and warnings
- Your red dress should be above the knee in length and a straight or slightly A-line cut.
- Wear the dress with nude stockings, black go-go boots, and gold hoop earrings for a complete costume.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for