It's a common scenario: you own a white refrigerator but the rental you just moved into has stainless appliances. It's certainly not feasible to run out and purchase a new refrigerator just to match the other appliances. Tying the two appliance finishes together is affordable and a much more feasible plan. According to The San Diego Union-Tribune, in the article, "Mix, Don't Match", everything in a kitchen doesn't have to match. When marrying different materials and finishes keep things simple and clean looking. Use kitchen accessories in a mixture of white and silver to give your kitchen a more cohesive look.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Toaster - silver and white
- Coffee maker - silver and white
- Canisters - silver and white
- Salt and pepper shakers - silver and white
- Napkin holder - silver and white
- Paper towel holder - silver and white
- Cupboard hardware - white ceramic/glass and silver
- Frames - silver metal or plastic
Purchase small appliances, such as a toaster and coffee maker, with both white and stainless or plastic with silver paint finishes. Small appliances can be purchased for under £13 at discount stores. Place your new small appliances on your kitchen counters.
Accessorise the kitchen with canister and salt and pepper sets that have white and silver finishes. Many white plastic or ceramic sets feature silver metal bands around the item, or the lid is silver. The item doesn't have to be actual stainless steel, which is often an expensive material. Any white item with silver coloured plastic or metal accents ties the silver of the stainless steel appliances in with the white appliances.
Put stainless and white coloured napkin and paper towel holders onto the counter. The repetitive theme of items comprised of both white and silver creates a connection between the appliance colours.
Hang kitchen art prints with mostly white backgrounds in silver metal or silver plastic frames on the wall.
Use a screwdriver to remove any old knobs or cupboard handles and hardware. Replace with knobs and handles with white ceramic or white glass with silver accents (screws). Home improvement stores have a wide selection of cabinet hardware that are often inexpensive and can be easily removed to reinstall hardware that comes with a rented house when it's time to move again.
Tips and warnings
- Choose decorative items such as candles, votive holders, trivets, potholders and dish towels that have both white and silver incorporated into the print or theme. Shop during the after-winter holidays sales to find inexpensive silver and white objects that don't have holiday-specific motifs. Swirls and geometric patterns are all-purpose, even if the item was sold at holiday time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for