Jack Russell terriers are the same breed of dogs bred in England by the Rev. John Russell in the 1800s for sport and hunting. These terriers are high-energy dogs, which means they will need a lot of stimulation in the way of running and jumping and chasing balls, sticks and frisbees. They need to be groomed twice a year and bathed four times a year, but exercising and proper feeding are essential to keeping your Jack Russell happy and healthy.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Chicken, turkey, beef and fish
- Measuring cup
Provide your dog with plenty of good protein. Boil a chicken in a large pot of water, and when the chicken is cooked and cool enough to work with, remove it from the bone and peel it into strips. One chicken can make about 10 meals for your dog. Make sure all the bones are removed; chicken can contain tiny bones.
Feed your puppy turkey, beef and fish. Feed your puppy 4- to 142gr servings for each meal. You can use a kitchen scale to calculate the servings. Mix the meat or fish with a half of a cup of cooked brown rice or vegetables.
Feed your dog raw vegetables, if your dog will eat them. Cut pieces of celery, cucumber and any other vegetable you have into small cube pieces and feed them to your dog. However, avoid garlic and onions because they can be toxic dogs to dogs if they eat too much. Also avoid avocados, tomatoes and wild mushrooms. As always, ask your veterinarian if you have questions about what is safe for your dog to eat.
Look at the ingredients on store-bought food. If you must buy store food, make sure it has the right ingredients. Verify that all ingredients are USDA inspected. The first couple of ingredients should be meat-based.
Avoid commercial foods that contain corn or soybeans because these are unhealthy for your Jack Russell terrier. Make sure the food doesn't contain animal or food byproducts. See if there is anything on the label that does not sound quite right such as beef pulp, brewer's rice or fillers that are not named.
Tips and warnings
- Keep a blender for making blended foods for your dog. Use no food you would not eat yourself.
- Always monitor your dog when it's eating to make sure it doesn't choke.
- Jack Russell terriers are very active dogs, so make sure you keep your dog active by two to three good rounds of running, walking and fetch. If your dog seems sluggish, take him to your vet.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for