While many RC enthusiasts go straight to the modified-motor upgrade to improve their vehicle's speed and performance, there is a way to upgrade your remote-control car by giving your stock 540 motor a special treatment. Dipping your 540 motor will break-in the brushes and bronze bushings, which will improve your motor's overall performance.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 540 motor
- Cup of water
- 2 'D' batteries
- Battery holder
- Bottle of lightweight lubrication oil
Fill the cup of water with enough liquid to immerse the entire motor. Dunk the motor into the water until only the two connection leads are sticking out of the water.
Insert the two "'D" batteries into the battery holder, then connect the two wires to their respective tabs on the motor. Let the motor run for 10 minutes while submersed in the water.
Disconnect the battery and remove the motor from the cup. Dry it off, then apply 1 or 2 drops of lightweight lubricating oil on the bushings on the front and back of the motor's can.
Test your motor once it is dry by reinstalling it in your vehicle. You should see an increase of power by 20 per cent with improved performance and faster RPMs.
Tips and warnings
- Do not dip the motor until it is disconnected from everything. Dipping a motor connected to an ESC or charger could cause damage or injury to yourself.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for