Blocked ears are uncomfortable to experience, and the condition might become quite painful if left untreated. One common cause of blocked ears is earwax build-up. According to healthguidance.org, 90 per cent of children who see the doctor for ear pain are diagnosed with earwax build-up. This type of ear problem is common in adults as well. If your ears are clogged due to earwax build-up, you can fix the problem at home easily and safely.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 2 small bowls
Pour the warm water and hydrogen peroxide into one of the small bowls. Pull some of this mixture into the eyedropper.
Lie down on your side, with the clogged ear facing up. Drip the contents of the eyedropper into your ear. You will hear the mixture bubbling in your ear as it breaks apart the earwax.
Allow the mixture to sit inside your ear until the bubbling sound stops, which should be between 5 and 15 minutes. Hold the second small bowl over the treated ear, and turn your head over to drain the liquid contents into the bowl.
Repeat this process a second time, if you feel earwax is still blocking your ears.
Tips and warnings
- You can use earwax softeners, available at many pharmacies, instead of the hydrogen peroxide treatment.
- Put a cotton ball in your ear after placing earwax removal in your ear. Leave it there while you sleep and remove it the next morning.
- Take a long, hot shower. The steam from your shower can help break up earwax.
- Speak with a doctor before trying to unclog your ears at home, particularly if you have a history of ear problems.
- Never attempt to clean out ears that are so clogged that your hearing has become impaired. See a doctor for help instead.
- Never insert anything into your ears that was not designed for ear cleaning. You should never try cleaning your ears with Q-tips, safety pins, hair clips, pens or pencils, for example. You can push the wax further into your ear canal or can even damage it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for