Novelty candles can add a touch of fun and whimsy to your home or office. Some of the most popular candles to use in the home are ones that resemble bakery items, such as cupcakes and loaf breads. Creating your own candles, for sale or to use at home, is an excellent way to save money. Candles from stores are expensive. You can create your own candles at home. For novelty bakery candles, you can embellish them with colourful wax sprinkles that you make yourself. Just be sure you add them before the wax in your candle moulds sets.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring spoons
- 1 heaping tablespoon stearin
- Small steel saucepan
- Unwanted coffee mug
- ¼ tsp. powdered food-grade dye
- 2 wooden skewers
- 8x10-inch piece of waxed paper
Fill the small saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
Place the coffee mug inside the saucepan, being careful not to make the interior wet.
Put the stearin in the steel bowl and allow melting.
Add the powdered dye and mix with a skewer.
Remove from heat. Place on a heat-safe surface and cool for at least one minute.
Lay the 8x10-inch piece of waxed paper on the surface.
Dip one of the skewers into the stearin and slowly remove from the mug so that the melted stearin forms a ball.
Gently use another skewer to slide the ball off of the skewer and onto the waxed paper. Allow for drying.
Tips and warnings
- Cooler stearin yields ball-shaped sprinkles. Hotter stearin results in circular disk-shaped sprinkles.
- Use a variety of powdered food dyes, added to separate bowls of melted stearin, to create multicoloured sprinkles.
- When using melted stearin, be careful to avoid burns or spillage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for