Whether you're at home in bed or sipping a latte in a downtown coffee shop, you can keep up with all your favourite television shows by setting up your laptop computer to watch TV. There are several ways to enjoy over-the-air television on your laptop, including TV PC cards and adaptors that plug in the USB port on your laptop. All Windows-based computers ship with Windows Media Center, software that connects to your laptop's TV tuner, allowing you to view, record and store television shows.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Broadband Internet connection
- USB TV adaptor
- PC TV card
Buy a USB TV tuner adaptor for your laptop. Plug in the adaptor and install the supplied software on your laptop computer to access all local "over-the-air" television stations, including high-definition stations (if your laptop is equipped with high-definition display).
Equip your laptop with a TV tuner PC card. This works in the same way as a USB adaptor, but offers improved stability, because the connection to your laptop is quicker. Like USB adaptors, TV cards ship with software, allowing you to tune to "over-the-air" stations. TV cards often include a remote control handset.
Connect the supplied antenna to the USB adaptor or TV card. This will receive "over-the-air" TV signals if you are within 10 miles of a high-powered television transmitter. Alternatively, plug in the cable from your main outdoor television antenna, satellite dish or cable television system for better reception and more stations.
Use the media centre software that shipped with your TV card, USB adaptor or laptop computer to schedule and record TV.
Tips and warnings
- A range of TV tuner cards and adaptors is also available for Macintosh laptops and computers.
- You can also watch TV over your high-speed broadband Internet connection, either through the free, online services provided by the major TV networks or by paying a monthly subscription fee to video-on-demand providers, such as Hulu and Joost. (See References)
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for