Bluetooth connectivity allows devices to interact and share information wirelessly through individual connections. Although not all printers come with Bluetooth technology built in, any printer can take advantage of Bluetooth connectivity using a Bluetooth adaptor. These small additions to the printer's hardware connect without installation and broadcast the printer to Bluetooth-enabled computers and other devices. Use a Bluetooth adaptor to connect a printer to multiple computers, or simply reduce the cord clutter around a workspace.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Bluetooth computer
- Bluetooth printer adaptor
Purchase a Bluetooth adaptor. Ensure the adaptor has connectors compatible with the printer. Most printers will connect to an adaptor with a female USB connection.
Connect the adaptor to the printer and turn it on if necessary. Ensure the printer and connecting devices are within the stated connection range for the adaptor.
Turn on Bluetooth for the connecting computers and devices. On a Windows computer, open the "Control Panel" and select "Bluetooth Devices." Ensure the "Turn discovery on" and "Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer" options are enabled. In OSX, open the "System Preferences" window and select "Bluetooth." Press the "Turn Bluetooth On" button.
Locate the printer in the list of available Bluetooth devices. Access this list by clicking "Add" in the Windows Bluetooth settings panel, or by clicking the "Set up new device" button in OSX. Depending on the device, you may need to enter a passkey before creating a connection.
Access the printer from a program with printing capabilities or from the system's list of connected devices.
Tips and warnings
- You can use a printer with a Bluetooth adaptor even if the printing computer system has no Bluetooth hardware. Separate USB adaptors work with the computer as well, and give the system wireless Bluetooth capabilities.
- Even with an established Bluetooth connection, many printers must be installed on a computer system before operating correctly. Insert the installation disc included with the hardware or download the software from the manufacturer's website to install the printer on a system.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for