Mancozeb is a fungicide that also works as an insecticide. It is sold under the commercial names of Dithane, Manzeb, Manzane and Nemispot. Although widely used on food crops to treat fungal disease, it has detrimental effects on the nervous system and should be used with caution. In the environment, mancozeb degrades in the soil within three months and is not soluble in water. Follow all directions that come with your supply of mancozeb.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tool or property dimensions
- Rubber or latex gloves
- Long-sleeved shirt and trousers
- Cleaning agent
- Measuring spoon (depending on application area)
Measure the area you plan to treat. Mancozeb is quite potent and one gallon is enough to treat 1000 square feet. Put on latex or rubber gloves and a long-sleeved shirt and trousers prior to handling Mancozeb.
Clean the sprayer thoroughly with the cleaning agent. This can be a commercial sprayer cleaner or dish soap. Whichever you use, rinse thoroughly to ensure there are no contaminants in the sprayer.
Make a slurry with the mancozeb. Mix the measured amount of mancozeb into a small amount of water in a separate container to make a slurry before adding it to the rest of the water. Use one teaspoon of mancozeb for each 1000 square feet you are treating.
Add water to the sprayer. For each tablespoon of mancozeb, use one gallon of water. Pour the slurry into the water that is in the sprayer and agitate to mix.
Apply the mancozeb solution with the sprayer. Follow the directions for your particular sprayer for details on its function. Leaves must be thoroughly covered for the fungicide to be effective and treatment must be done on a regular schedule.
Tips and warnings
- Use gloves and cover arms and legs when handling the mancozeb. Clothes and gloves worn when working with mancozeb should be washed or discarded soon after.
- Do not work with mancozeb on a windy day to avoid dispersing it where it shouldn't go and to avoid breathing the fungicide.
- Your mancozeb comes with detailed instructions on safety and use. Read these directions thoroughly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for