The message "The Operation Failed" in Microsoft Office Outlook is a frustrating obstacle because it offers no insight into why a seemingly basic task is being blocked. There are actually two main reasons why you might receive this message: one is that the custom form recipient field is set up with an initial value and the other is that your Norton Antivirus is script blocking the program's functions. Both of these problems have solutions, so your e-mail capability should be up and running again in no time.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Enter the "Start" menu, then select "All Programs," followed by "Microsoft Office and then pick your Microsoft Office Outlook software.
Open "Tools," then "Forms" and "Design a Form."
Click on the "Recipient" text box, select "Properties" on the form menu, then "Value" in the dialogue box.
Click "Calculate this Formula when I Compose a New Form." Choose "Apply," then "OK."
Repeat Steps 1 to 3 of the previous section.
Click on the "Set the Initial Value of this Field to:" check-box to clear it.
Click "Apply," then "OK."
Start "Norton Antivirus," if you have a copy installed; otherwise, skip this step.
Click "Options," followed by "Norton Antivirus," then on "Script Blocking" on the left side.
Click on the "Enable Script Blocking" check-box to clear it, then select "OK."
Open the "Start" menu, followed by "All Programs," then select "Microsoft Office" and your Microsoft Office Outlook program.
Click "Tools," then "Preferences" and "Email Options."
Uncheck the "Display a Notification Message when New Mail Arrives" check-box and select "OK" twice.
Tips and warnings
- Disabling Norton script blocking can make your computer more vulnerable to viruses.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Microsoft: You Receive the "0x80004005 : The Operation Failed" Error Message When You Receive New Email Messages in Outlook
- Microsoft: You Receive the "The Operation Failed" Error Message When You Send an Item That is Based on a Custom Form in Outlook 2000
- Symantec: Turning off Script Blocking in Norton Antivirus