Mohair is the lofty, downy fibre from a goat. It is similar to wool in many ways, but it is warmer and less bulky. Mohair can be knitted or woven and is most often used to make sweaters and home accessories. Mohair will felt and shrink if exposed to water and agitation, so it is important to launder it correctly.
Things you need
Fill the washer drum with cool water and choose the "Soak" option. If your washer doesn't offer a soak cycle, leave the lid open so the drum doesn't move.
Add a 118 ml (1/2 cup) of wool softener to the washing machine and stir with the wooden spoon to blend.
Place the mohair item into the washer and press it into the water until it is totally immersed. It may take a moment for the mohair to absorb the water.
Set the timer for 30 minutes and allow the mohair item to soak until the timer goes off.
Turn the washer dial to "Spin" and close the lid. Wait for the washer drum to spin and drain, then remove the mohair item right away.
Spread a clean, dry beach towel on the floor or other flat surface. Use two towels if your mohair item is a large one.
Spread the mohair item out on the towel and smooth out any wrinkles. Do not stretch the item out of shape, just spread it gently to allow it to dry evenly.
Leave the mohair item in place until it is completely dry. Depending on the size and thickness of your item, drying could take a few hours or a few days. Store the dry mohair piece folded or flat until you are ready to use it.
- Twin and queen-sized beds make great blocking surfaces. Soak your mohair in a bath if you don't have a washing machine. Mohair can be hand washed with wool garments as long as the colours are similar.
- Never put mohair in the dryer; doing so will cause irreparable damage. Wash mohair that is a bright or dark colour alone; some colours may bleed.
Tips and Warnings
- Twin and queen-sized beds make great blocking surfaces.
- Soak your mohair in a bath if you don't have a washing machine.
- Mohair can be hand washed with wool garments as long as the colours are similar.
- Never put mohair in the dryer; doing so will cause irreparable damage.
- Wash mohair that is a bright or dark colour alone; some colours may bleed.
Things you need
- Mohair item
- Washing machine
- Wool soak
- Wooden spoon
- Beach Towel