Knitted and crochet items, such as hats, mittens and socks, require special care for shaping the items correctly. Knitted and crocheted berets are no exception. Three different blocking techniques on three identical berets will result in three different looks. Block a beret by using water or steam and a mould for stretching a hat into the preferred shape. Molds for shaping berets come in a variety of forms. Plastic foam wig forms, balloons and dinner plates can all be used to create different sizes and levels of floppiness on a beret.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plastic foam wig form
- 10-inch balloon
- 9 or 11-inch dinner plate
- Two thick towels
Submerge the beret in warm water, then remove it and gently squeeze to release the water. Lay the hat on a towel and place a second towel on top. Press down gently from the top with your hands to get most of the water out.
Stretch the hat over a mould of your choosing, which will depend on the your desired beret size and floppiness. Use the foam wig head for a snug fit. For a loose fit without floppiness, use a balloon and blow it up to your preferred size. If you want a little flop to the beret, use a 9-inch dinner plate. For a really floppy beret, use the 11-inch dinner plate.
Let the beret dry overnight. Carefully remove the beret from the mould in the morning and try it on.
Tips and warnings
- Wool or cotton fibres work best in blocking. Blocking works on acrylic fibres, too, but the effect is crisper with wool or cotton.
- If the band of the hat is too tight, dampen the band and slip it over a balloon blown up to the preferred size. Let it dry overnight, and remove the balloon. Only the dampened area will be stretched.
- Be gentle with the wet fibres and do not wring out the hat after wetting it. Twisting the fibres while they are wet causes breakage and can leave undesired wrinkles and creases.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for