Searle Pharmaceuticals first developed the steroid hormone oxandrolone, which it manufactured and sold under the brand name Anavar. Scientists derived Anavar from the male hormone testosterone to treat a number of health conditions. Like other steroids, Anavar exerts a number of anabolic, or tissue-building, effects on the body. These effects may include increased muscle mass and improved bone density, as well as general weight gain. Although Searle discontinued production of Anavar, Savient Pharmaceuticals now manufactures and sells this drug under the brand name Oxandrin, which it offers in 2.5 mg or 10 mg tablet form.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Obtain a prescription for Oxandrin from your doctor or hospital. Doctors can prescribe Oxandrin to treat conditions such as osteoporosis, patients who cannot gain weight or regenerate tissue after surgery or trauma (such as burns) or patients suffering from the muscle-wasting effects of HIV.
Fill your prescription at a licensed pharmacist. The United States Department of Justice has listed Oxandrolone as a Schedule III drug, making it illegal to buy, sell, prescribe or dispense without a prescription or from a licensed pharmacist.
Break up your total daily dose into two to four sessions. For instance, if your doctor prescribes a dosage of 10 mg daily, schedule two dosage times of 5 mg each or four dosage times of 2.5 mg each.
Take each dosage with a glass of water. You can take Oxandrolone with a meal.
Take any missed doses as soon as you realise you have forgotten to take Oxandrolone, but before taking your next dose and without taking two doses at once.
Tell your doctor if you suffer from any of the androgenic (masculinising) effects of Oxandrolone, such as priapism, testicular atrophy or sudden acne (in men) or acne, increased facial or body hair growth, a deepened voice or alterations to your menstrual cycle, including stoppage. Your doctor may lower or stop your dosage to avoid these side effects.
Continue taking Oxandrolone until your doctor instructs you to stop. The website Rx List suggests that Oxandrolone therapy will achieve its effects in two to four weeks; Savient Pharmaceuticals reports that Oxandrolone should not be taken for longer than four months.
Tips and warnings
- Drugs.com reports that patients should not take Oxandrolone if they already suffer from prostate cancer or breast cancer, including male breast cancer. Patients should tell their doctor about any past heart disease, diabetes or kidney and liver conditions before accepting a prescription for Oxandrolone.
- Avoid taking Oxandrolone if you also take anticoagulants (drugs designed to prevent stroke-causing blood clots).
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for