The print-screen function is the button on a computer that allows you to capture a screenshot of the website or application that you're currently viewing. Then you can paste that screenshot into another application and save it as a file. If you are the owner of a website, though, you might not want people being able to copy the data on your website in a screen shot. If not, you can simply disable the print-screen function for visitors.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Disable print screen source code
- Word-processing program
Navigate to DSCRIPTS.net and download the "disable-print-screen.zip" source code. Once you download the file to your computer, double-click on it and then click "Extract all files" to extract the files from the compressed folder.
Launch your word-processing program. Notepad works fine.
Click "File." Click "Open." Click on the "disable_print_screen.html" code from where you saved the extracted files. Click "Open."
Click "Edit" and then "Select All." Right-click the selected text and click "Copy."
Open the HTML document for which you would like to disable the print screen ability. Paste the code anywhere between the head tags (<head> and </head>) of the document. Save the document. The print screen is now disabled in the document when it's uploaded to the Web.
Tips and warnings
- You can also copy the selected text by employing the hotkey CTRL+C.
- Disabling the print-screen function on a website only keeps the user from capturing a screenshot of the Web page. It doesn't stop them from manually copying and pasting other information from the page or from saving the page in an HTML document through their Internet browser.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for