When a dog urinates on concrete, it leaves behind a distinctive odour that can be offensive. Household cleaners will clean the area, but the smell will remain. Although trying to clean dog urine smell from concrete can be frustrating, there are methods to effectively remove the odour completely. Most products are more effective if used immediately after urination occurs, but even old urine spots can be effectively cleaned and the odour removed with the proper steps.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Paper towels
- Enzyme cleaner
- Box fan
Absorb any wet urine from the concrete as soon as possible using wads of paper towels. Dab the spot to make the cleaning easier.
Wet a clean rag and scrub the area to help pick up additional urine.
Mix 1 part white distilled vinegar and 3 parts water. Stir to combine.
Apply the vinegar mixture to the top of the urine spot. Let it sit for five to 10 minutes, then blot the area with paper towels to remove most of the moisture.
Sprinkle the spot with a thin layer of baking soda.
Add 1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent to 1/2 cup of 3 per cent hydrogen peroxide. Pour the mixture over the baking soda and allow it to dry completely. Generally, this will take several hours.
Use a clean, wet sponge to clean the baking soda mixture off the spot. Rinse the sponge as needed in a bucket of water.
Place a box fan in front of the spot and turn it on. This will dry the area. Once dry, if you notice any remaining odour, repeat the entire process.
Tips and warnings
- Instead of using a vinegar mixture to clean the spot, you can use a commercial enzyme cleaner. Enzyme cleaners are available at your local pet supply store. These cleaners work to neutralise the enzymes in the urine that cause the odour. They also remove the hidden smells that your dog can sense but you cannot. Dogs use this hidden odour to find places to urinate. If you remove the hidden smell, it will help encourage your dog to go somewhere else next time.
- If you are unsure where the urine spot is, use a black light to locate it. Urine glows under a black light.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for