The Canon PIXMA iP4200 Photo Printer uses five ink cartridges, also known as ink tanks, to print on various print media including regular, greeting card, and glossy photo paper and transparencies. Typically, the printer won't print after installation of a new cartridge because of an issue with the cartridge or the printer that results from improper handling or installation of the cartridge. Additionally, a defective cartridge or hardware malfunction can result in printing problems.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- New ink tanks (optional)
Turn on your Canon PIXMA iP4200 printer.
Lift up the top cover, open the paper output tray, and flip down the inner cover to access the ink tanks.
Check that each ink tank light shines red. If a light doesn't shine, push down on the top of the tank where it says "PUSH" until the tank locks in place and the light turns on, as the printer won't print without the light on and the tank locked securely in place. If all of the ink tank lights shine, push in on the locking tab associated with the new ink tank to unlock the tank from the housing.
Remove the tank from its slot and inspect it for missed packaging material. Check for and remove any orange tape and film remaining. Additionally, make certain that you've removed all of the orange protective cap.
Look inside the ink tank slot in the printer for any packaging material. Once you've confirmed both the tank and slot are free of debris, reinsert the tank into the slotback end angled in first--and then push down on the top front of the tank where it says "PUSH" until the tank locks in place and the red tank light turns on.
Close the inner and top covers completely. The printer won't print if either cover remains open. If the printer is working correctly, the print head cleaning cycle should start--as indicated by the "Power" light flashing green--and then your print request should print out.
Tips and warnings
- If any ink tank light flashes, replace the tank, as the flashing indicates a low or empty tank. With a low tank, the light flashes every three seconds, with an empty tank, the light flashes every second.
- If a tank light won't turn on or your printer still won't print after troubleshooting the issue, contact Canon at 800-OKCANON (652-2666) for assistance.
- The Canon iP4200 won't print if you leave any of the ink tank slots empty or put a tank in the wrong slot.
- Never touch the ink port on an ink tank. Skin oils can transfer to the port and interfere with printing. Additionally, you can accidentally damage the port.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for