Mice infestation is annoying, especially when the rodents inflict damage to your goods or property. Because of how small mice are, they can easily climb into the nooks and crannies of your vehicle and chew through important wiring. This can cause a number of problems, including, but not limited to, short circuiting and machinery failure. By taking several small steps to safeguard your garage against mice, you can avoid paying the price for chewed automotive wiring.
Inspect your garage for traces of mice or rat infestation. Look for faeces, chewed areas or dead rodents. Take note of where they might be entering.
Set mouse traps around the point of entrance. Spread the traps strategically around your garage if there are several places the rodents can enter.
Spread rodent repellent near the entrances. Pouring some on the outside and the inside of your garage will ensure that they stay out. If you park your car in a certain spot, make an outline of repellent around your vehicle weekly.
Drip peppermint oil onto a few old rags and place them around your vehicle each time you park. Peppermint oil is a natural mouse repellent and is safer than using poison. Remove the rags each time you take your car out of the garage.
Buy several eucalyptus plants and place them around your garage. Eucalyptus is also a natural repellent as well as a great air freshener.
Contact a professional exterminator if your problem increases. Consult an automotive technician to see if there is anything specific you can do to protect your wiring.
If you know which wires the mice like to chew on, apply light coats of peppermint oil with a small paintbrush. Only do this if the wires have plastic insulation around them. If you park your vehicle outside, consider moving it to your garage. If this is not an option, spread repellent around the edges of your regular parking area.
Do not use rodent poison if you have small children or pets in your house. Choose a non-toxic repellent instead. Consult an automotive technician before applying peppermint oil to your wiring. Depending on your vehicle, this could be dangerous.