Dihydrotestosterone, or DHT, is an important and potent hormone within the body that is a derivative of testosterone. This hormone is three times stronger than testosterone and is needed in fetal development. However, as people age the body needs less DHT. The hormone will stick to a person's hair follicles, causing a weakening of the hair and producing male pattern baldness. You can block or slow down DHT's damaging effects through proper supplementation and shampoos.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Essential fatty acids
- Saw palmetto
- Pumpkin seed
- Stinging nettle
- Grape seed extract
- Hair regrowth shampoo
Read the instructions, warnings and consult a physician and/or a herbalist before using any supplements to treat hair loss.
Take natural herbal supplements such as saw palmetto, pumpkin seed, stinging nettle and grape seed extract to help block DHT. You should take the mineral zinc and essential fatty acids such as omega 3 to limit and decrease DHT levels--in conjunction with herbal supplementation.
Determine the amount of supplemental pills or gel caps you need to take daily to block DHT. Make sure to note whether you should take a supplement once or twice a day, with meals or on an empty stomach.
Read the information on the hair regrowth shampoo to understand directions and possible warnings.
Use a quarter-size application of shampoo and apply to wet hair, massaging it into the scalp and hair thoroughly. Repeat as desired.
Tips and warnings
- Pay attention to your supplements and follow directions. Improper use may be dangerous.
- Hair regrowth shampoo used to block DHT can have varying results depending on each person.
- You will need to use most DHT blocking shampoos daily.
- Stopping supplementation and/or shampooing can allow hair loss to continue.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Progressive Health: Slowing Down Hair Loss with DHT Blockers
- United States Patent Application Publication: Compositions and Methods for Hair Growth
- Healthier You: Treatments for Hair Loss- Rosemary, Essential Fatty Acids, Zinc
- The Medical Health Plus: Hair Regrowth and DHT Blocking
- Hair Energizer: DHT Shampoo - Directions For Use