Evaluation of Foreign Degree Credentials

Written by leyla norman Google
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
Evaluation of Foreign Degree Credentials
Foreign degree evaluation is necessary to get some jobs in the U.S. (students image by dinostock from Fotolia.com)

When a person from another country wishes to pursue a career in the United States such as teaching or working in the medical field, it is usually necessary to have his college degrees evaluated. This is done by an independent company. It compares the degree's course contents to those of similar courses in the U.S. According to the Illinois Board of Examiners, degrees received from foreign institutions of higher learning do not translate or compute coursework in the same way as the U.S.. Because of this, independent companies go in and study the degrees determining the differences in educational systems, grading practices, testing patterns, transcripts presentation and terminology.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Contact a degree evaluation company. Some of them include Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (ACEI), Josef Silny & Associates, Center for Educational Documentation, Inc. (CED), and World Education Services, Inc. (WES). Be sure that whoever wants you to have your degree evaluated approves of the company you choose.

  2. 2

    Fill out and submit the company's application according to its submission procedure. Include payment and any other documents requested. The application will ask for your personal information (name, address, phone number, for example), mailing instructions when your evaluation is complete, your academic history, and it will ask you to choose the service you want performed. The applications are often available for you to download on the company's website. You may also be able to submit it online, depending on the company.

  3. 3

    Choose the credential evaluation service you need. You may choose to have a course-by-course evaluation of your degree, or a more general evaluation of your degree performed. Options to have individual documents evaluated also exist with some companies. Check with who is asking for your foreign credentials to be evaluated which service is most appropriate for your situation before you submit your application and payment.

  4. 4

    Send an official transcript of all of the degrees you have earned overseas to the company either with your application or after your application has been processed, depending on the company's procedure. The company will charge a fee of around £97 to £130. Additional fees will apply if you need your documents translated into English. Turn-around time for your documents will vary, but you can expect the entire process to take around 2 to 3 weeks.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.