Horse hair bracelets are crafted pieces of jewellery dating to ancient times. By creating an intricately braided horse hair bracelet, you have a piece of jewellery that is not only custom but also a symbol of the bond between you and your horse. Making one requires a few simple steps.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Horse hair
- 2 elastic bands
- Lobster claw clasp
- Jump ring
- 2 crimp beads
- 2 crimp bead covers
- Crimping pliers
Comb through the horse hair to remove any tangles. For a basic bracelet, you need a small bundle of horse hair about 1-inch wide and 1-foot long.
Wrap an elastic band around one end of the bundle to secure them.
Thread a small bit of hair through the loop on the lobster claw clasp, through a crimp bead, then make a loop with the hair and slide it back through the crimp bead. That should create a small hoop of hair with the ends resting flat against the elastic.
Position a crimp bead over the elastic to disguise it, then crimp and flatten the bead with your pliers. This gives the bracelet a neat, finished look.
Divide the horse hair into three separate sections and braid them down the length of the hair, leaving about 2 centimetres loose at the end.
Secure the braid with an elastic band just above the bit loose hair.
Slide the loose hair through the loop on the jump ring, through the second crimp bead, then make a loop with the hair and thread it back through the crimp bead. That should create a small hoop of hair with the ends resting flat against the elastic.
Position a crimp bead over the elastic to disguise it, then crimp and flatten the bead with your pliers. You can now open and close the bracelet with the clasp and jump ring.
Tips and warnings
- You can use string beads to decorate your bracelet. Use a crimp bead on either side of each bead to secure them.
- Other types of jewellery clasps will work for your horse hair bracelet, including include a toggle clasp, screw clasp, bolt ring clasp, box clasp and the barrel clasp.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for