Binding post terminals are designed to make speaker wire installation easier. By incorporating multiple ways to connect a wire, binding posts make connecting to better, thicker wire possible. Small spring terminals, a hallmark of cheaper electronics, only accept smaller wire and lose tension over time. Since they only accept bare wire, oxidation happens faster because the exposed copper is not using a gas-tight connection. Using binding posts on speakers and amplifiers gives you better cabling options.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Speaker wire
- Banana plugs
- Spade lugs
- Crimp tool
- Wire stripper
- Small flathead screwdriver
- Speakers/amplifiers with binding posts
Remove the plastic centre cap from the end of the binding post, using a small flathead screwdriver.
Strip 1/2 inch of insulation from the speaker wire. Screw or crimp the banana plug onto the end of the wire.
Insert the banana plug into the hole on the binding post, exposed by removing the centre cap. Repeat the process for the speakers.
Unscrew the binding post counterclockwise.
Strip 1/2 inch of insulation from the end of the speaker wire.
Slide the spade lug over the bare wire. Crimp it in place with the crimp tool.
Insert the lug under the binding post's cap. Screw the cap back down clockwise to secure the lug. Repeat for the speakers.
Unscrew the binding post cap, exposing the centre hole on the post.
Remove 1/2 inch of insulation from the end of the speaker wire, using the stripper.
Insert the bare wire into the exposed hole on the binding post. Screw the cap clockwise until fully tightened. Repeat for the speakers.
Tips and warnings
- Binding post wrenches are available, designed to tighten the post caps to a greater extent than by hand. These are especially useful when using spade lugs or thicker bare-wire connections.
- Do not make speaker connections with the amplifier on.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for