Crucial for road safety, functioning headlights illuminate darkened roadways. Driving with even one burnt out headlight bulb is both dangerous and against the law. Having a mechanic change the burnt out headlight will cost you the price of the replacement bulb along with the mechanic's labour rate, often resulting in an expensive bill. Changing the headlight on an Audi A4 requires a little more effort than just turning a bulb, but replacing the headlight yourself will save both time and money.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Torx screwdriver
- Soft cloth
Pull the release level to open the bonnet, and then locate the headlight housing.
Remove the headlight cover using a Torx screwdriver. Completely unscrew the two screws holding the top of the headlight cover in place, and then carefully set the screws aside. Loosen, but do not remove, the two remaining screws located on each side of the cover.
Pull the cover straight forward, and then slide the wiring harness out by squeezing the metal clips located on the back of the headlight housing. This allows access to both the wiring harness and the headlight bulb.
Turn the headlight bulb and remove it from the wiring harness. Install the new headlight bulb by securing it into the wiring harness. Use a soft cloth when handling the new bulb because oils from your skin may damage the bulb.
Squeeze the metal clips of the wiring harness, and carefully push the bulb and harness into the back of the headlight housing.
Screw the headlight cover into place, and then close the bonnet. Start with the two screws located at the top of the headlight cover, and then tighten the screws located on the cover sides.
Test the headlights. Turn the key to the "On" ignition position, and then turn on the headlights.
Tips and warnings
- Covering the vehicle's front bumper with cardboard may prevent scratches.
- Never start the car with the headlights removed because this could result in an auto-level error.
- Use caution when changing the bulb. Dropping the housing may break the headlamp cover and also may result in scratches on the bumper.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for