A candelabra is a ceiling fixture with multiple light bulbs that is controlled from a wall switch with direct wiring to each bulb. Candelabra sockets do not have an on/off control on each bulb. Instead, each bulb has a keyless socket. After several years of use, a socket will malfunction and the bulb won't light. Repair a light fixture candelabra socket, model ZE304, by removing the wiring from the faulty socket and rewiring the new one.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Small flat screwdriver
Turn the light fixture off and let the bulbs in the candelabra cool completely. Turn off the circuit breaker that powers the candelabra.
Unscrew the light bulb from the faulty socket in a counterclockwise direction and set it aside.
Grasp the socket and turn it counterclockwise to unscrew it. Pull the socket straight up until there is slight tension from the wiring.
Place a small flat screwdriver on each of the two screws on the socket. Turn the screws counterclockwise to loosen each one and pull the wiring from each. Discard the faulty socket.
Hold the ZE304 socket near the wiring. Place the copper wire tip underneath the copper or brass screw, wrapping it clockwise for one revolution. Tighten the copper or brass screw clockwise to hold the wire in place. Repeat this process for the second wire on the silver-coloured screw.
Slide the cardboard insulator over the socket, aligning the hole in the base with the base screw on the socket.
Place the ZE304 socket in the candelabra and screw it into the base clockwise until it is tight.
Place a light bulb in the candelabra socket and tighten it clockwise.
Turn the circuit breaker back on.
Tips and warnings
- Candelabra sockets are available at hardware and home-improvement stores.
- Standard candelabra socket heights are 1-1/2 inches, 2 inches or 3 inches. Choose the correct replacement height so that all bulbs are the same height.
- Do not pull the wiring too tightly when replacing a socket. This action can cause a break in one of the wires, which means the wiring will have to be replaced for the light to function.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for