Since babies are naturally flexible, they are able to move their legs in a wider range of motion. Helping your new bundle of joy stretch his legs will allow the legs to strengthen and prepare him for crawling and rolling over. Leg stretches encourage a newborn or toddler to learn and play as you interact with him. You can accustom your baby to the stretching by moving his legs on a changing table or while he lays flat in the crib.
- Skill level:
Things you need
Place the baby on a mat face up.
Hold the baby's feet gently. You will place one foot in each of your hands.
Move the baby's legs in circles as if they are riding a bicycle. Move the legs gently and do not push them too hard.
Rotate the baby's legs so that you complete 20 repetitions. Count out loud so that the baby hears your voice.
Lay the baby on a soft mat. Stimulate blood flow by gently massaging the baby's legs.
Pull the legs toward his chest to bend the knees. Hold the position softly, and then release so that the baby's legs return to lying flat on the mat.
Pull the knees toward the baby's stomach. Hold the pose and then release the legs back to lying flat. Massage the baby's legs and repeat this stretch two or three more times.
Pull the knees back to the stomach. Hold this pose and move the legs in a clockwise circle. After you move the legs in a clockwise circle, reverse to a counterclockwise motion. Repeat this stretch an additional three or four times.
Place his legs back to the flat position. Bring one of the knees to the chest and hold it straight. Switch the legs and repeat three or four times.
Tips and warnings
- Exercise other parts of your baby after you accustom them to the leg stretching. Move the baby's arms from side to side or encourage them to grasp your fingers. This will encourage the baby to explore.
- Yoga leg stretches can help to relieve gas in babies, according to Karma Kids Yoga.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for