How to put my daughter's name on the title of my house

Written by larry parr
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to put my daughter's name on the title of my house
(Thinkstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images)

Placing your daughter's name on the title of your house will insure that your daughter inherits your home upon your death. The way you do this depends on whether your name is currently the only one on the deed and whether there is currently any mortgage on the home. Depending on these factors, there can be financial consequences for changing your current deed.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Determine if you will be forced to immediately pay the balance of your mortgage if the deed is changed. If so, talk to your banker and see if an exemption can be made, or be prepared to pay off your mortgage in full.

  2. 2

    Get consent from anyone else whose name is currently on the deed before proceeding. In order to add your daughter's name to the deed, you will need the signature of all parties currently on the deed.

  3. 3

    Write a new deed placing your daughter's name on the paperwork as a Joint Tenant With Rights of Survivorship. This allows your daughter to inherit your house upon your death without your property going through the court process known as probate. While it is possible for you to create a new deed on your own, it is advisable to hire an attorney knowledgeable in real estate law to handle the details for you.

  4. 4

    Record the new deed with the tax assessor's office in the county in which the house is located. There may be a small recoding fee.

Tips and warnings

  • Adding your daughter's name to the title of your home means you cannot sell or refinance the home without your daughter's permission.
  • Adding your daughter's name to the deed means that your daughter inherits your current property value basis for taxes, which could be considerably lower than the current actual value of the home. If your daughter sells the home after your death, she has to pay capital gains tax on the difference, which could be substantial.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.