To replace your old Alpine car stereo, you need to uninstall it. While you can always take to a car audio specialist to do this, they will charge you for the procedure. Uninstalling an Alpine stereo is so straightforward, there's no reason not to do it yourself. With a little time and a few basic tools, you will have the stereo removed and be well on your way to installing a new one.
Open the bonnet of your car. Use a socket wrench to loosen the negative terminal on your battery. Lift the cable up and off of the battery and place it so it is resting away from the battery.
Press the faceplate release button, typically located in the corner of your Alpine stereo. Remove the faceplate from the stereo.
Use a flat head screwdriver to carefully pry up the plastic bezel surrounding your stereo. There are several plastic tabs holding the bezel in place, so start on one side and work around until the bezel loosens. Once it is loose, slide it off of your stereo.
Unlock the stereo from the mounting bracket. Older Alpine stereos have two plastic pegs that you must press down on with a flat head screwdriver to unlock. Newer Alpines require the use of two bracket keys, which are included with the stereo. Slide the keys into the slots on the sides of the stereo. Press the keys outward to release the side clips holding the stereo in place. Once the stereo unlocks, slide it out from the dashboard far enough that you can reach behind it. If you have lost your bracket keys, contact Alpine for replacement keys.
Press the release tab on the plastic wiring harness socket. Pull the wiring harness plug out of the socket. Unplug the antenna cable from the back of the stereo. If you have an amplifier or CD changer attached, unplug those cables as well. Finally unscrew the grounding wire from the metal bracket behind the stereo. Remove the stereo from the bracket completely.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery. Forgetting to do so can lead to a nasty electrical shock.
Tips and warnings
- Don't forget to disconnect the battery. Forgetting to do so can lead to a nasty electrical shock.