How do I get rid of white hairy mould on walls?

Written by jaimie zinski
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How do I get rid of white hairy mould on walls?
Mold growth occurs when mould spores travel to an area that has ideal conditions: moisture and warmth. (Getty Thinkstock)

White hairy mould can grow on walls in every floor of the home, from the basement to the top, and can cause an allergic reaction in humans and pets. Mould growth occurs when mould spores travel to an area that has ideal conditions: moisture and warmth. Once the mould spores find a home, they begin to grow and spread. White mould can be removed from the walls of a house or business to ensure that every person that walks into the space remains safe.

Skill level:
Moderate

Other People Are Reading

Things you need

  • 30 ml (2 tbsp) liquid dish soap
  • Water
  • Rubber gloves
  • Safety goggles
  • Old clothing
  • N-95 respirator
  • Sponges
  • Garbage bag
  • Garbage can
  • Fan
  • 120 ml (1/2 cup) bleach
  • Plastic bucket
  • Long sleeved shirt
  • Long trousers

Show MoreHide

Instructions

  1. 1

    Prepare a mixture of 30 ml (2 tbsp) liquid dish soap and three cups warm water.

  2. 2

    Wearing rubber gloves, safety goggles, clothing that can be discarded after the cleaning and an N-95 respirator, dip a stiff scrub brush into the liquid dish soap mixture and scrub the affected area.

  3. 3

    Soak up the liquid left behind on the wall with several clean sponge. Place the used sponges in a garbage bag. Dispose of the garbage bag in an outdoor trash receptacle.

  4. 4

    Soak a dry sponge in water. Wring out the sponge until it is damp, not wet.

  5. 5

    Wipe the affected area with the wet sponge.

  6. 6

    Allow the wall to dry before entering. Open a window or place a fan toward the wall to help expedite the drying process.

  1. 1

    Mix a litre (1 quart) of water and 120 ml (1/2 cup) bleach in a plastic bucket.

  2. 2

    Wearing rubbing gloves, safety goggles, a long sleeved shirt and long trousers, dip a stiff brush in the bleach mixture.

  3. 3

    Scrub the affected area with the bleach mixture. Allow the mixture to sit for two minutes and scrub the wall once again.

  4. 4

    Soak a sponge in plain water. Wring out the sponge until it is damp, not soaking wet.

  5. 5

    Wash the affected area with the sponge to remove the bleach solution. Allow the wall to dry.

Tips and warnings

  • Open a window to provide proper ventilation when working with bleach.
  • Contact a professional mould remediation company if the mould problem is excessive or you are not comfortable removing the mould yourself.
  • Purchase an N-95 respirator at a local hardware shop.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.