Stepping stones are extremely easy to make and are an unusual addition to any size garden. Not only are stepping stones a colourful embellishment, but they also enable you to walk through your garden without having to trample around in dirt or grass. By making stepping stones with glass marbles you can maintain the beauty of your garden while tracking less dirt into your home.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 5-gallon bucket
- Pizza box
- Quikrete concrete mix
- Roll of 3/4" mesh screen
- Concrete dye
- Rubber gloves
- Face mask
- Long sleeved shirt
- Paint stick
- Wheel grease
- Outdoor paint
- Glass marbles
Prepare a work area by laying newspaper on a large flat surface. Concrete burns the skin, so be sure to wear protective clothing such as goggles, face mask, rubber gloves, and a long sleeved shirt.
Grab the 5-gallon bucket, measure the Quikrete concrete mix, and add water. Quikrete concrete mix for making stepping stones can be found at most local hardware stores. With a paint stick, mix the water and concrete in the 5 gallon bucket. For every 5 cups of Quikrete add one cup of water. The mixture should be about the consistency of cake batter. If concrete mix is still too wet add 1/4 cup of Quikrete until the consistency is just right and if the concrete mixture is too dry add 1/4 cup of Quikrete until the consistency is right. Concrete dye may be added as well if a certain colour is desired for the stepping stones.
Cut pizza boxes in half and tape the sides of the pizza boxes to form perfect squares. Be sure the pizza box is taped well enough so that no wet concrete mix seeps through, as these pizza boxes will be the moulds for each stepping stone. Spray the inside of each pizza box with wheel grease or any substance that will keep the wet concrete from sticking to the box.
Pour the prepared concrete mixture into half of the pizza box with an old soup ladle. Cut the roll of screen into a piece that is slightly smaller than the pizza box and place on top of wet concrete mix. The screen is used as a type of reinforcement for the stepping stones. Apply wet concrete mix again until the pizza box is completely full.
Allow the concrete to dry for approximately 10 minutes or as the concrete mix directions specify before adding or applying the glass marbles. Glass marbles can be placed in any shape or design for the look you desire.
Allow the stepping stone to completely dry for at least 48 hours, flip the pizza box over so that the hardened concrete is laying face first on top of the newspaper. Tap the mould gently and the concrete stepping stones with glass marbles will pop out of place and is ready to be placed in any garden or yard. The stepping stones with glass marbles can now be painted with outdoor paint as well, if desired.
Tips and warnings
- It doesn't matter if the pizza boxes are clean or dirty. If you want clean pizza boxes for your project these can be purchased from any pizza place for a couple of dollars a piece.
- Many items can be used as moulds for making stepping stones with glass marbles. If pizza boxes can't be used try old baking pans. Be creative.
- If the area the stones will be placed is grassy be sure the stepping stones will be placed deep enough so that the grass can be mowed.
- If concrete gets on your skin immediately wash the affected area with warm soapy water.
- When placing stepping stones in areas of high traffic make sure each stone is set deep enough in the ground so that others don't trip over the stones.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for