The Canon 10D is a 6.3 megapixel digital SLR with a beefy magnesium alloy body. The 10D was designed for semiprofessional use and uses CompactFlash memory cards. In the course of shooting with a 10D, you may run across an Err99 code that freezes the camera. The Error 99 is a generic error code which means the camera isn't sure what the problem is. Usually an Error 99 can be fixed at home, but in rare instances you may need to send the camera to a Canon repair facility.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Canon 10D
- Fully charged BP-511A battery
- CompactFlash card
- Sensor or lens cleaning swabs
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Pencil eraser
Turn the camera off, wait five seconds, then turn it back on and try shooting. If you still get Err99, further troubleshooting is needed.
Troubleshoot the problem by turning off the camera, removing the battery and CompactFlash card and letting the camera sit 20 minutes. Reinsert the battery and CompactFlash card, turn on the camera, and try shooting. If it shoots, you can probably fix it at home.
Reformat your CompactFlash card. Deleting images does not remove all traces of the data from the card, and that can cause errors. After inserting the memory card, turn on the camera and press Menu, then scroll to set-up and scroll down to Format Memory Card, then press enter.
Remove the lens from the camera body and very gently run a pencil eraser over the lens contacts and camera body contacts.
Reinsert the lens and try shooting. If you still get Error 99, do a wet cleaning. Remove the lens and dip the swab in the isopropyl alcohol, then rub it on the gold contacts of the camera body and the lens.
Tips and warnings
- Using the eraser on the contacts can cause premature wear on the surface. Rub the eraser extremely lightly on the contacts when cleaning. A wet cleaning is not damaging to the contacts and is better in the long run.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for