To take advantage of the implied warranty and to receive communications about the computer, many Dell computer owners will register their system with Dell. If you have purchased a used system, you can transfer the ownership from the old owner to yourself. Transferring the ownership will allow you to take advantage of the warranty, receive communications about product recalls, get general product information and be notified of specials from Dell. When transferring the ownership of a Dell, you should do it on the actual Dell computer on which you are transferring the ownership.
- Skill level:
Open Internet Explorer. The Dell transfer page is not compatible with other Web browsers.
Go to the Dell U.S. Ownership Transfers web page (see Resources).
Click on "Find My Service Tag" and the service will scan your Dell computer for the service tag number.
Enter the new owner information into the corresponding fields on the Dell Ownership Transfers page. You will be required to enter in your full name, address, e-mail address and phone number.
Press "Submit" and the Dell ownership records will now indicate you as the new owner.
Tips and warnings
- If you are transferring ownership outside of the U.S., use the International Ownership Transfer Form (see Resources).
- For questions about transferring ownership, call Dell Customer Service at 1-800-624-9897.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for