The Sony KP-53HS30 is a 53-inch rear-projection TV. This unit features virtual surround sound, V-chip protection, a Sleep Timer and many more features. Sony products are tried and tested; however, as with most consumer electronics with multiple features, glitches can and do occur. Many are simple to remedy, such as a setting that needs to be adjusted, or an antenna that needs securing. Before calling in a service repairman, there are a few simple troubleshooting steps you can run through on your own.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Check that the TV/VIDEO setting is correct if there is no picture or no sound. Set the button on the remote to TV when viewing TV, and when watching media through any connected equipment, set to VIDEO 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. Check that the TV is plugged into a working power outlet.
Adjust the Picture setting in the Video menu if the picture is dark or poor or there is no picture but the sound is good. Press MENU on the remote control and move the joystick (centre, round button on the remote) to the Video icon and then press the "+" button. Scroll down through the features, such as Brightness, Hue, Color, and press "+" to select the desired feature. Use the joystick to make any adjustment to the current settings. Press "+" to set the adjustment. Press MENU to exit the menu screen.
Check that the Speaker is set to ON in the Audio menu if there is good picture but no sound. Press MUTING on the remote so that "MUTING" disappears from the screen.
Secure the cable and antenna connections if there is snow and noise on the screen.
Move the TV away from any interference such as neon lights or electrical appliances if dotted lines or stripes appear on the screen.
Change channels in either the main picture or the window picture if you get the same program in both.
Check that "Favorite Channel" is set to MANUAL in the Channel menu if the "Favorite Channel" does not display your choices.
Use the MENU system to change "Cable" to OFF if you cannot receive upper (UHF) channels when using an antenna.
Tips and warnings
- If the TV does not turn on, and a red light flashes, the unit may be ready for service. Call your local Sony Service Center.
- Press RESET on the remote control when in the Video menu to restore your factory settings for Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Sharpness and Color Temp.
- Disconnect the power cord from the wall if the TV is not in use for an extended period of time.
- If liquid drops into the TV, unplug the power cord immediately and have a qualified technician check out the unit.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for