Decorative bottles filled with oil and flowers will catch the sunlight and reflect the colours when placed on a windowsill. You can make your own kaleidoscope of personally selected colours for your home, or give them as gifts. Replace the bottles as the seasons and holidays change, or to keep pace with your decorating whims. Oil-filled bottles are a small and inexpensive way to add colours to the home.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Bottle with cork
- Artificial flower
- Decorative stone
- Mineral oil
- Craft glue
Select a bottle that has a cork inserted into the top. Select a wide mouth that will accommodate flowers or coloured stones. Bottles can be found at craft stores and discount department stores.
Browse through a craft store or discount store and select artificial flowers or stones that can be inserted through the mouth of the jar. Flowers larger than the mouth can gently be pushed through the mouth and arranged inside the bottle.
Pull the cork from the jar and insert the stones or flowers. Fix the arrangement using a chopstick or other long, thin utensil.
Carefully pour the mineral oil into the bottle until it is 1 inch from the lip. Use a funnel to direct the oil into the bottle if your hand is shaky.
Apply a small amount of clear, craft glue around the cork and push into the mouth. The glue will seal the cork and prevent the oil from leaking if the bottle is overturned.
Tie a ribbon around the neck of the bottle to finish the project. Measure and cut the ribbon so the ends flow down the side of the bottle.
Tips and warnings
- Visit garage or estate sales for unusual bottle styles. Corks can be purchased separately at craft stores.
- Artificial autumn leaves will make a colourful display for a fall arrangement.
- Coloured marbles are also plentiful at craft and discount stores. Keep the marbles one colour or mix colours to match the decor.
- Try a drop or two of food colouring to change the look of the oil.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for