A chrome bumper looks great on any vehicle. Unfortunately, weather and road corrosives can make any bumper appear dingy or foggy. But there is a quick fix to restore the chrome on your vehicle's bumper and make it look as good as new. With just a little time, your bumper can be cleaned, polished and waxed, all with materials that you more than likely already have available in your garage.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 5 cups all-purpose auto cleaner
- 4 cups warm water
- Soft toothbrush
- 2 lint-free cleaning cloths
- Chrome polishing compound
- Auto spray wax
Mix 5 cups of any brand of all-purpose automobile cleaner with 4 cups of warm water in a medium-size bucket. Saturate a sponge with the mixture.
Clean the entire bumper using the sponge and the solution.
Detail the bumper by scrubbing it firmly all over with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Be sure to clean any stubborn stained areas, grooves or hard-to-reach areas.
Rinse the bumper with clean water immediately after washing to reduce the chances of spotting.
Dry the bumper thoroughly with a lint-free cloth as soon as the bumper has been rinsed to avoid water spots.
Polish the bumper after you have dried it completely. Apply a small amount of any brand of chrome polishing compound to a clean lint-free cloth. Polish in large, smooth circles. Add more polishing compound if needed to achieve the desired shine.
Spray a thin layer of any brand of automotive spray wax onto the bumper after polishing. This will add shine and a degree of protection from any further damage or build-up.
Tips and warnings
- Repeat the process monthly to maintain shine and protection.
- Read all warnings and instructions on cleaning products.
- Ensure that all cleaning products are safe for use on chrome.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for