When your vehicle's rear window defogger goes out, you don't have to buy a whole new window. A new rear window could cost you £260 or more, but it only costs about £6 to fix the connector tabs. You can find a connector repair tab kit at any auto parts store. If the grid is damaged, there is a kit with connective paint that can be used to fix it. This can also be found at any auto parts store and costs about £6.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Defroster contact tab repair kit
- Rubbing alcohol
Pull off the old connector tab and remove the wiring harness. The connector tabs are located at the side of the rear windshield. The connectors will be at the edge of the window, very close to where it meets the body of the vehicle.
Clean the window thoroughly, especially where you will put the contact. Rubbing alcohol will get rid of any oily residue that might keep the adhesive from working.
Snap the glass vial of accelerator to release it into the applicator swab. Wet the surface of the glass and the back of the tab. Allow it to dry for 5 minutes.
Knead the adhesive pouch for a minute or so and snip off a corner with the scissors. Put a couple of drops on the contact and lightly press it to the glass for 60 seconds.
Let it set for about 24 hours then attach the wiring harness. If you try to use your defogger before the adhesive is set, it will not be able to set properly.
Tips and warnings
- If you change the connector tabs and the problem still exists, check to see if there is any electricity getting to the tabs. Turn on the defroster; if you hear the relay click and the monitoring lamp is on, you have current. Check to see if a fuse is blown, or if there is a short in the wires leading to the tabs.
- If you are getting some defrosting but there are places on the window where the defroster is not working, look for places where the grid has been broken. In this case the connecting tabs are fine and you can fix the grid with some conductive paint.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for