You can rejuvenate the appearance of your windshield wiper arms by refinishing them with the appropriate paint. Windshield wiper arms are composed of metal, a surface ill-suited for paint adhesion. You must pretreat the arms by applying special acidic primer, formulated with the ability to etch durable metal. In addition, you should choose a certain type of paint that will provide an attractive glossy sheen and remain durable in varying weather conditions.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Trisodium phosphate cleanser
- Steel wool
- Water hose
- Plastic dust sheets
- Masking paper
- Professional painter's tape
- Galvanised metal etching spray primer
- Oil-based spray enamel
Remove the windshield wiper blades from the wiper arms.
Clean the windshield wiper arms with a trisodium phosphate cleanser, using steel wool. Rinse the arms, using a water hose. Wait two to four hours for the entire automobile to dry.
Protect the automobile from paint over spray by covering it with plastic dust sheets, masking paper and painter's tape.
Coat the clean wiper arms with galvanised metal etching spray primer. Maintain an eight-inch distance between the wiper arms and spray nozzle as you apply. Wait four hours for the primed arms to dry.
Coat the primed wiper arms with an oil-based spray enamel. Maintain an eight-inch distance between the wiper arms and spray nozzle as you apply. Wait four hours before reattaching the wiper blades.
Tips and warnings
- Add a second coat of enamel only if the primer shows through.
- Do not use oil-based, latex or acrylic primer on windshield wiper arms, or the finish will eventually shed.
- Do not use a latex or acrylic paint on windshield wiper arms, or the finish will eventually flake.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for