Wool is a natural fibre made from the fleece of sheep. Used in designer clothing and home furnishings, wool attracts dirt and grease easily. That's why a detailed plan to clean woollen materials is essential to keep your fine fabrics in the best condition. To remove grease from your clothing or sweaters, always read the manufacturer's recommendation for cleaning before you attempt to hand-wash or machine-wash woollen fabrics.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Old white T-shirt
- Old white rag
- Corn meal
- Baking soda
- Vacuum cleaning attachment
- Pre-wash stain remover
- Small basin
- Mild liquid detergent
- Cold water
- Large towels
Gently blot the excess grease using an old white T-shirt or a rag. Do not rub the wool fabric.
Dust the stain lightly with corn meal or baking soda to absorb the grease from the top layers of the wool fabric. Let the absorbent powder remain on the stain for five to seven minutes.
Using a vacuum cleaner hose attachment, remove the powdery substance off the surface of the wool stain.
Pre-treat the stain with a pre-wash stain remover for 15 minutes.
Hand-wash wool knits and sweaters in a small basin filled with 1 tbsp of mild liquid detergent and cold water. Do not soak. Just swish the wool fabric around to loosen dirt and then knead the fabric gently with both hands.
Rinse thoroughly with cold water to remove any soap residue. Rinse until the water runs clear.
Squeeze the fabric gently; do not wring to remove excess water. Roll the item in a large towel to blot any excess moisture before drying.
Lay the garment flat on a large, dry towel to air-dry away from heat and help the garment retain its original shape.
Tips and warnings
- When drying, keep the woollen items away from direct sunlight to prevent discolouration of the wool garment.
- Dry clean woven wools and heavy sweaters only.
- If the grease stain remains after following these steps, take the garment to a professional dry cleaner to clean.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for