Skype is one of the more widely used Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) applications worldwide. It allows users to have voice, text, or video chats with other users for free or place calls to international numbers and send text messages at reduced rates. Many businesses now use Skype to handle their communications needs. As such, it can be necessary to track a user's Skype activities. The usage history is stored on individual Skype accounts, not within the Skype network.
- Skill level:
Open Skype and let it connect to the Internet.
Click on the "Window" drop-down menu and select "History". A window will pop up with all recent Skype activity, including date and time, who the call or chat was with, whether it was incoming or received, and the duration of the connection. A full chat history can be viewed by double clicking on the chat if you would like to see what was written.
Right-click on an individual contact name in the Skype contact list. Select either "View Chat History" to view all chats with that specific contact, or "View Call History" to bring up the recent calls that you have made.
Tips and warnings
- For those who want more documentation on the Skype calls and messages sent there are applications available for download such as Skype Log View (see "Resources), which stores all Skype activity over a period of time on a user-friendly display.
- The Skype application on your computer does not send the information to Skype, but does log all activity on your computer. For those of you using Skype during office hours, consider that Skype activity can be viewed by others.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for