The smell of a carpet soaked in dog urine can overwhelm any room. It is important to understand the proper way to remove the smell or you may actually make the problem worse. According to the Humane Society, you should not rush to apply chemical carpet cleaners thinking that will remove the smell, because they will not. Chemicals of any kind, even popular homemade vinegar solutions are not effective at removing the smell of dog urine because they do not break down the enzymes in the urine.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paper towels
- Cool water
- Carpet cleaning machine
- Pet odour enzyme neutraliser
Absorb the urine stain by placing a thick layer of paper towels and newspaper on the location and weighing it down with a heavy object such as a brick for a minute.
Remove the brick and replace the wet paper towels and newspaper with dry ones. Repeat this process until you have absorbed as much of the urine as possible.
Pour plain, cool water on the location until thoroughly soaked. Blot the water up with paper towels or vacuum out with a wet-vac. When the carpet is dry, apply an enzyme pet odour eliminator to neutralise the urine smell.
Clean the carpet with a home or commercial-grade carpet cleaner using only clean, cool water. This will soak up and extract the urine deep within. If the carpet has been cleaned with chemicals, you will need to repeat this process to make certain it is thoroughly rinsed.
Dry the carpet completely by placing a fan in the area and opening windows to allow for good air circulation.
Apply the enzyme pet odour eliminator to the dried carpet and allow to be absorbed and to dry. Repeat the process until the odour is gone.
Tips and warnings
- Instead of using a brick to weigh down the newspaper and paper towels, you can stand on it instead.
- High-quality pet odour neutraliser can be purchased from most pet stores.
- Pet odour neutralisers will not work effectively until all traces of previous chemical cleansers are rinsed away thoroughly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for