Micro weave hair extensions take four to six hours to apply, but are a much quicker alternative to achieving longer hair than growing the hair out naturally. Micro weave extensions are wefts of extension hair sewn into cornrows. The cornrows are braided into the hair vertically to provide rows across the head for the weft to be secured to. If cared for properly, micro weave extensions can last for two to three months.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Deep conditioner
- Parting comb
- Hair extension wefts
- Hair clip
- Small rubber bands or braid-securing spray
- Hair extension thread
- Hair extension needle
Shampoo and deep condition the hair before beginning the micro weave hair extensions. Make sure the hair is dry before starting the cornrows.
Leave out a section on the crown of your head from 1 inch above the right ear to 1 inch above the left ear, so it can hide the wefts once finished. Clip that section onto the top of your head to keep it out of the way. Also section half an inch of the hair at the neck to leave out to cover the wefts when your hair is pulled into a ponytail.
Braid vertical cornrows into the hair. Depending on the thickness of the hair, 15 to 25 cornrows should be braided. Once the cornrow is complete, secure the ends with a rubber band or braid-securing spray.
Begin at the bottom of the hair, about half an inch from the neck. Measure the width of the hair weft needed and cut the section.
Thread the needle using about 18 to 20 inches of hair extension thread and double knot it at the end.
Sew the weft onto the braids. The beginning and end of the weft should be sewn around two to three times. Be sure to to sew around the weft and not through the weft. Sew around the weft every 1 inch until you reach the end.
Begin the next weft half an inch to 1 inch above the bottom weft. Sew the weft to the cornrows the same as the last step.
Keep adding wefts until you reach the crown of the head. Once you have finished, release the hair that has been secured at the top and bottom.
Tips and warnings
- Use natural hair extensions, instead of synthetic hair extensions. This will allow you to wash and style your hair as you usually would.
- Choose a texture of hair that is similar to your own, so they blend together well.
- Cornrows may dry out your hair, be sure to deep condition before the weave is applied and after the weave is removed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for