High-end flooring options, which routinely include beautiful hardwood and shiny, cultured marble, can cost a small fortune to purchase and install. For a layperson's alternative to these flooring products, some homeowners turn to Amtico, a vinyl flooring product that offers the low-maintenance advantage of vinyl with the look of marble or hardwood. This type of flooring lays beautifully over concrete, wood, stone and other subfloors, so long as proper preparation and installation practices take place.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Floor cleaner
- Levelling compound
- Amtico adhesive
- Stirring stick
- Amtico adhesive remover
- Plastic scraper
- 45kg (100 pounds) roller
Thoroughly clean the subfloor. Use product-specific cleaner (i.e., wood floor cleaner or stone cleanser) to remove all dirt, dust, grease, wax and other contaminants.
Level the floor with levelling compound if necessary to achieve a flat surface. Amtico vinyl lasts longer and is sturdier when laid on a flat surface. Allow all cleaning efforts and levelling compound to dry before continuing with the installation.
Open and stir your Amtico adhesive product. Different styles of flooring have different recommended adhesives, but only use the Amtico-recommended product, or it will not hold as well.
Spread adhesive onto the floor with a small-notched trowel. Work in a small area that you can cover within 30 minutes so that the adhesive does not dry too quickly. Allow the adhesive to settle onto the floor for 10 minutes to get appropriately tacky to accept the floor tiles.
Press your Amtico tiles into place, twisting slightly as you go to ensure the back of the tile is completely embedded in the adhesive. Press the tiles tightly against each other to avoid gaps.
Clean extra adhesive that leaks through joints or smears on tiles with Amtico Adhesive Remover and clean rag. If necessary, scrape dried adhesive away with a plastic scraper.
Roll all of the tiles with a 45kg (100 pound) roller within two hours of laying. Roll within two hours, as the adhesive will be too dry to effectively adapt to the tiles. If necessary, roll each section before moving onto the next.
Install and roll all tiles until the floor is complete. Avoid foot traffic on the floor for 24 hours and avoiding washing or wetting the tiles for 48 hours to allow the adhesive to cure properly.
Tips and warnings
- If you are laying over a wood subfloor, Amtico recommends that you lay a 6 mm (¼ inch) barrier of plywood over the floor for better support.
- Amtico vinyl flooring tiles come precut per the dimensions and needs of your home. It may help to lay out the vinyl floor tiles without adhesive beforehand so that you have a proper order for laying the floor.
- Follow all product instructions on Amtico adhesive and remover for best use.
- Never expose Amtico flooring to temperatures below13 degrees Celsius (55 degrees Fahrenheit).
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for