Installing an indoor hanging chair is a simple job that can be accomplished by the novice handyman using common home repair tools. If you are hanging the chair from a standard 8-foot ceiling, the suspension kit that comes with the chair will have just about everything you need. Because the chair is not steadied by resting on the ground, careful installation is needed to ensure the chair is safe and doesn't risk injury to people or nearby structures when used.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Step stool
- Stud finder
- Drill with 3/8-inch drill bit
- Eye screw or hook with 1/4-inch diameter, 3-inch shank
Lay out the parts of the chair suspension kit. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions to identify the parts and attach the suspension lines to the chair. The instructions will tell you whether you need a hook or eye screw to hang the chair from the ceiling. The suspension apparatus may come pre-assembled, or you may have to attach the suspension spring and hook to the suspension lines.
Use a stud finder to locate the ceiling joist over the area where you want to hang the chair. When using the stud finder, mark the left and right side of the joist so you can estimate the lateral centre of the joist. Drill a vertical hole through the ceiling and into the centre of the joist, 3 inches deep.
Insert the tip of the eye screw or hook into the hole in the ceiling. Turn clockwise to set it in place. Insert the tip of a screwdriver into the eye or hook for more torque and tighten the until the entire shank is in the ceiling and joist.
Pick up the chair by its suspension apparatus. Make sure the lines are not twisted. Hang the chair from the ceiling hook or eye screw. You can change the direction the hanging chair is facing by turning the eye screw or hook a few degrees.
Tips and warnings
- Always wear safety goggles when you are drilling overhead.
- You may need assistance to hang a heavy chair.
- For ceilings taller than 8 feet, you may need to add a length of heavy-duty chain to the suspension hardware.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for