Pouring a concrete floor for the construction of a new garage is a job any homeowner can complete with the proper tools. The value of a garage to a home is great since it provides storage space, as well as an area to keep the car out of the elements. The first part of the construction is pouring the concrete pad that will be the floor of the garage.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 -by-6 planks (Number and length depends on the size of the garage)
- Circular saw
- Deck screws
- One foot stakes (Number depends on garage size)
- Crushed limestone (Amount depends on your concrete pad size)
- Concrete (For a project of this size, you will have to have a truck bring the concrete to you)
- Shovels to move the concrete
- Screed for levelling the concrete afterwards
- Hose with a fine spray nozzle
Measure the length and width of the garage pad and mark all four corners. Drive the stakes in each corner to a depth of 6 inches.
Form the frame by connecting the 2-by-6 planks with the wood screws. You will have to drill them in at angles from the outside of the frame. Use three screws for each board.
Screw the frame into the corner stakes. Drive the remaining stakes into the ground to a depth of 6 inches. Make sure they are next to the frame and are about 6 feet apart. Screw them into the frame with the drill.
Spread the limestone inside the frame to a depth of 2 inches. Tamp down until it is level with a tamper. This is a device with a flat, iron one foot square piece on the bottom and a four foot handle.
Pour the concrete into the middle of the frame and start spreading it out with the shovels. When it reaches the top of the frame use the skreed to start levelling the concrete. When the entire frame is filled, continue to screed the concrete until it is level. Allow to dry.
Spray the concrete with a light coating of water after it has dried for a couple of hours. You will want to do this every day for a week to help the concrete cure.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for