Visual Kei hairstyles began as a Japanese aesthetic for rock musicians and has become a genre of appearance for Japanese and international youth. Visual Kei hair is glam rock in appearance with long, straightened ends and teased or spiked upper layers. There is no standard style of Visual Kei, only methods and tools to help you create the style you desire. Visual Kei hairstyles are often paired with crazy hair colours and extreme make-up to complete the look.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Duckbill clips
- Flat Iron
- Fine-toothed comb
- Strong hold hairspray
- Styling gel (clear or coloured)
- Hair extensions (optional)
Separate clean dry hair into sections. Create a front part, side parts behind each ear and a horizontal part across the back of the head. Clip each section with a duckbill clip, leaving the lowest rear section of hair loose.
Using a fine-toothed comb, separate small sections 1/2-inch thick from the rear part of the hair and smooth each with a flat iron. Comb each section after ironing to help hair cool into a flat texture. Repeat through the rest of the clipped parts, being sure to flat iron your desired front part into place.
Add extra length to the back and sides of the style with clip-in extensions. Create a horizontal part in the rear of your hair at the tips of the ears. Section out a layer of hair at the bottom rear and clip the rest of the hair upward. Attach a clip-in extension and release the next layer of hair. Repeat until desired length is achieved. Flat iron the extensions if needed.
Braid or accessorise random pieces of hair at the rear lengths of the style. Shape the longer ends of the hair into downward spikes with a bit of hair gel as desired.
Select a 2-inch section of hair on either side of your front part and hold upward. Generously spray the roots with hairspray and comb the section backward three to four times. Hold the section upright for approximately 10 seconds until the spray sets. Repeat for the desired number of fins or spikes.
Apply a dab of gel to the end of each upright piece of hair. Smooth ends into a fin with your fingers or spike by twisting the ends together. Flat iron the ends, twisting your wrist out and up from the roots.
Set the spiky style with an all-over mist of hairspray. Take a flat iron to any spiked pieces to reshape as needed.
Spikes and Fins
Tips and warnings
- Visual Kei styles work best on naturally straight hair. Hair that has natural wave or curl will need to be flat ironed.
- Visual Kei styles work best on a base haircut that has been razored or has multiple layers, such as a shag or mullet style.
- Use clip-in extensions to add length at the rear of your hair or as needed to complete the look.
- Visual Kei styling is product-intensive and can be damaging. Wash and deep condition hair regularly to help prevent breakage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for