Join the Easter parade with a homemade Easter bonnet that reflects your style. Whether you use a thrift store find of a straw hat or make your own out of paper plates, the key to a successful bonnet is in the details. Get creative as you decorate with lace, flowers, ribbons, beads or Easter bunnies and flaunt your hat with pride as you strut down the street in the Easter parade.
Things you need
Plain straw hat
Hot glue gun
Hot glue sticks
Coloured flowered material
Strands of beads
Plastic or silk flowers
Plug in your hot glue gun as you gather supplies on your clean work space.
Apply liberal amounts of hot glue over the domed portion of the hat. Smooth flowered material over glue, spreading out any folds. Cut excess at the base of the dome.
Glue around the base of the material. Place brightly coloured ribbon over the glue. Cross the ribbon over itself in the back and cut.
Separate the flower petals from the flowers.
Apply liberal amounts of glue to the sides and back of the hat's brim. Decorate to taste by adding flower petals, individual beads and bead strands to your brim.
Glue the front brim of the hat. Attach several flowers to the front of the brim.
Cut up small pieces of lace and glue in between the flowers. Glue in little plastic eggs or chicks, if desired.
String green ribbon through the sides to use as ties. Try hat on and look into a mirror. Add extra flowers to any sparse areas.
- Vary your design with different colour flowers, ribbons, lace and bows. You can find old hats at your local thrift store to make your Easter bonnet. Design as outlandish or conservative as you like.
- Hot glue will burn your skin, so be careful. You may need to add more glue to set flowers or the petals.
Tips and Warnings
- Vary your design with different colour flowers, ribbons, lace and bows.
- You can find old hats at your local thrift store to make your Easter bonnet.
- Design as outlandish or conservative as you like.
- Hot glue will burn your skin, so be careful.
- You may need to add more glue to set flowers or the petals.
Things you need
- Plain straw hat
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Coloured flowered material
- Beads, individual
- Strands of beads
- Plastic or silk flowers