If you have wondered if you should run Windows Defender and your McAfee product at the same time, know that this is entirely safe; in fact, it will probably help your computer. Windows Defender is a program that only scans for spyware. Therefore, because it is possible (and recommended) to run two anti-spyware programs (or any other security program) at the same time, it is possible to run your McAfee product alongside Windows Defender.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Open "Windows Defender."
Open your McAfee product.
Scan your computer using both programs. When finished, you will have the opportunity to remove threats that both products discovered.
Tips and warnings
- Always have more than one anti-spyware program installed on your computer. This will ensure you have a backup to catch the spyware another missed.
- Never have more than one anti-spyware or antivirus program monitoring your computer in real time as this will cause conflicts. (Consequently, both programs may not catch every virus or spyware they normally would catch.) If you would like to have more than one antivirus or anti-spyware program installed, ensure that you only have one program for monitoring your computer for viruses in real time and one for spyware (for example, Windows Defender for monitoring spyware and McAfee antivirus would be an acceptable combination); the additional programs can then be used to scan your computer.
- To be safe, never run more than one anti-spyware and/or antivirus program at the same time. This is to avoid the programs crashing, forcing you to start the scans over again.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for