Direct marketers routinely make unsolicited calls. You can escape such phone calls by entering your telephone number in the National Do Not Call Registry, which is managed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). This will stop calls from all telemarketers except charities, political organisations, pollsters and companies you have a relationship with.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Dial 888-382-1222 from any phone you wish to have added to the Do Not Call List.
Enter the number of the phone you are calling from when prompted. This is so that the FTC can verify that you are not trying to block somebody else's phone.
If the phone number you entered receives telemarketer phone calls after 31 days, file a complaint by calling this number.
Go to the registration page at donotcall.gov.
Fill in the area code and phone number. Several phone numbers can be registered at the same time.
Fill in the email address, and fill it in again to confirm it. The phone number is now registered. You will receive confirmation in the mail from the National Do Not Call Register.
File a complaint online if you receive telemarketer phone calls after 31 days.
Tips and warnings
- The registration does not take full effect until after 31 days.
- Individuals can register any number of their personal phone numbers, including cell phone numbers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for