Upon first glance, the Nokia 3110C appears to be a fairly standard phone. But when you begin sifting through its features, you find that it has a 1.3 megapixel camera that also shoots video and has Bluetooth connectivity, SMS messaging, downloadable games and a media player. To really utilise its full potential, though, you'll need to unlock it. Unlocking your phone will allow you to use other service providers at home and abroad, saving you money on long-distance and roaming charges, as well as increasing the resale value of your phone.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Obtain your phone's IMEI number by typing "*#06#" into its keypad. Write the number down and set it aside.
Contact your service provider and request an unlock code. If they ask why you need one, you can tell them that you're travelling abroad or selling your phone. Be prepared to give the representative your mobile number, name and IMEI number. Your unlock code should be e-mailed to you within several hours.
Turn off your phone and take out its SIM card. Power the phone back on once the SIM card has been removed.
Enter "#pw+unlock code+1#" (where "unlock code" is the eight-digit code you received in step 2). Press the star (*) button twice to get the "+" symbol, press it three times to get the letter "p" and press it four times to get the letter "w." A message will appear on your phone saying "SIM restriction off," notifying you that your phone has been unlocked.
Tips and warnings
- If your service provider refuses to give you an unlock code, you can buy one online from a company such as mobileunlocksolutions.com, unlocking.com or unlocktotalk.com.
- The Nokia 3110C is only allotted a certain amount of unlock attempts. Please be careful when entering the unlock code to make sure it's accurate.
- Avoid sites that tell you they can give you a free unlock code. If you try to unlock the phone too many times with these false codes, your device will be hard-locked, meaning you can never unlock it again.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for