Mushroom soup, sautéed mushrooms, beef stroganoff are some of the delicious dishes that are made even more delicious with oyster mushrooms. Oyster mushrooms are expensive, but you can easily grow your own in a sterilised rye spawn bag. These sealed bags of rye seed have been sterilised, so no stray fungus will compete with your mushrooms for nutrients. The pre-filled bags and liquid mushroom spore culture are available on the Internet.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sterilised rye spawn bag
- Liquid oyster mushroom spore culture
Inoculate your bag by injecting 2cc of liquid oyster culture or spore solution into the centre of the bag. Gently mix the solution into the centre of the rye.
Place your bag in a warm place. The ideal temperature for mushroom growth is 28.8 to 30.0 degrees C. Place it in your garage in the summer, or on top of a heated appliance such as your refrigerator or dryer. The rye in the bag will turn white as the mushrooms colonise.
Break the clumps of rye apart with your hands when the bag looks completely white. The mushrooms will recolonise and produce a stronger mushroom network.
Puncture the bag making small X's in the plastic. These holes should be in the middle of the layer of colonised rye and be spaced 2 inches apart all around the bag. The mushrooms will grow through the holes seeking oxygen. This process is called "fruiting" the mushrooms.
Harvest the mushrooms by breaking them off when they reach the desired size.
Tips and warnings
- You may grow many types of mushrooms in rye bags.
- Purchase your mushroom spores from a reputable source. Many types of mushrooms are dangerous and cultivating some types of mushrooms is illegal.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for