How to find my gas & electric supplier

Written by peyton brookes
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to find my gas & electric supplier
Moving into a new home or apartment requires planning to connect utilities. (Dreamy house on house plans image by Monika 3 Steps Ahead from

The Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act---passed by Congress in 1972---laid the groundwork for providing consumers with utility provider options, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. As a result, when you move into a new home or apartment, you may have several choices for selecting your gas and electric supplier. Consequently, locating information about your suppliers may present a challenge. However, several resources exist that enable you to locate contact information for your gas and electric suppliers.

Skill level:


  1. 1

    Call your management company or real estate agent. If you moved into an apartment, you can call the management company. Sometimes apartment management handles the billing for water utilities and can place you in contact with your gas and electric supplier. A real estate agent can contact the seller's agent to find out additional information.

  2. 2

    Call your state, county or city government. City or county governments may have a regulatory board that monitors utility providers. Additionally, your county's environmental resources department may have information about who you can contact. Ask the representative either which companies provide service or who to call to find out. Alternatively, go to the StateLocalGov website (see the Resource section for a link) and search for your local government. Click your state on the listing and then click your county or city on the next page. This takes you to your state, county or city website. Call your city or county government office.

  3. 3

    Call your state's public service commission. State public service commissions "regulate essential utility services, such as electricity, gas, telecommunications, water, and transportation, throughout the country," according to the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC). Call NARUC at 202-898-2200 to ask for your state commission's contact information. Call the commission to find out who provides utility services in your area.

  4. 4

    Go to the AllConnect website (see Resources). This site provides information about utilities and services in your area by using your home address. Enter your street number, city, state and Postcode and click the "Search" button to execute the search. Click the "Utilities" link for your area under the "Providers" listing.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.